Pedro Romero. Francisco de Goya,Etching, Tauromachy


Pepe Illo. Francisco de Goya, Etching, Tauromachy

The bullring was officially opened on 19 May 1785, 300 years after the occupation of Ronda by King Ferdinand. The event was presided over by Bartolomé Félix de Salvatierra, Deputy President of the Maestranza, on behalf of the President of the fraternity, Prince Gabriel Antonio, the son of Charles III and Maria Amalia of Saxony. Both of the scheduled festivities were massively attended by the general public, with 126 local noblemen in the boxes for distinguished guests. The matadors were Pedro Romero and Pepe Hillo, the leading representatives of the two rival styles of the schools of Ronda and Seville. A total of thirty bulls from the ranches of José Cabrera (in Utrera), the Count of Vistahermosa and Tarifa were killed at the first fight and the following one on 24 May. Twenty two horses were purchased for the two festivities. Pepe Hillo was paid 3.224 reales for the two fights, whilst Pedro Romero received 3.000 reales. Each matador was awarded two bulls in keeping with the common practice of the period, which could well be the origin of the present-day symbolic prize of the ears and tails.