The Ronda bullring is owned by the Real Maestranza de Caballería of Ronda and, due to its vital role in the history of bullfighting, is one of the most important monuments in Andalusia. The legend of this severe and impressive ring is a constant feature in the evolution of the art of bullfighting, whilst its architecture continues to fascinate those who have the opportunity to visit it.

The history of its construction
The definitive consolidation of bullfights as essentially popular events dates back to the reign of Philip V and they were further consolidated as such during the 18th century. Bullfighting became a professional activity and increased the need for enclosed spaces with capacity for fee-paying spectators to finance the costs. It was at this time therefore that the first independent rings emerged. In their construction of bullrings, the Reales Maestranzas played a key role in establishing a series of aesthetic rules that were to become the architectural model. Of the five Maestranzas (Ronda, Seville, Granada, Valencia and Saragossa), the three situated in Andalusia built their own bullrings. The construction of the Ronda bullring came about due to interest on the part of the Maestranza but also due to a longstanding tradition of bullfighting. The town already had spaces which were habitually used for bullfights, and these spaces were also used by the Real Maestranza for its own activities. Plaza del Pozo, with the patron saint of the Maestranza (Our Lady of Grace), in the main square of the San Francisco district, which for a long time was situated on the outskirts of the town. Plaza del Campillo, situated on the edge of the gorge with a backdrop of the Colegio de Santa Teresa, formerly the palace of the Marqueses de Moctezuma. Plaza Mayor, where the continuous balcony of the collegiate church of Saint Mary was used as the platform for the authorities and other important people. This balcony was added to the church in the late 16th century. The uniqueness of Ronda lies in the fact that bullfights were transferred directly from the Plaza Mayor to a purpose-built bullring on the outskirts of the town, omitting the interim phase of a provisional ring made from wood, as was the case elsewhere.


1754. On 14 January the Real Maestranza requests approval from the Marqués de la Ensenada to build a bullring. On 23 January, a joint application is made with the town council to Charles III. A site is designated, «which is called Hollanquilla, some 82 yards from the gorge».

1769.
Agreement with the town council for the use of the land.

1767 (?).
The request is turned down by the court, which proposes that the bullring be erected from wood for use during fairs and then dismantled on completion of the festivities.

1779.
In all likelihood this is the date the Real Maestranza commenced construction works, without waiting for the relevant permission. The site was probably used that same year. In June the institution reports an official request from Francisco de Almagro, the master builder, for permission to undertake the construction of the ring himself, suggesting that the works were proceeding very slowly.

1780-1781.
Fund-raising by 86 maestrantes, resident in Ronda and other parts of Spain, with contributions ranging from 750 to 1.500 reales.

1782.
The ring is used on 24 and 25 May for bullfights by Pedro Romero and his brother José, as well as for a primitive type of shot-put contest organised by the Order with the participation of the troops. According to the Maestranza accounts, 27 people were paid, including «ticket collectors», «ushers» and «bottle collectors». At the end of the year, with the works still underway, the master stonemason Antonio Guerrero submits an invoice for the construction of 72 pillars, 72 arches, 250 yards of cornice, 2 small pillars and «detailed work on nine of the above-mentioned pillars». The construction really gets underway during this year. A document held by the Institution and significantly entitled La Obra (The Works) specifies the sum expended to date as 87.703 reales. The largest item of expense is on staff: builders, labourers and skilled workers, such as the stonemasons from Cabra and the quarry workers from Teba.

1784. A decisive year in the history of the ring with bullfights already taking place despite the works still being incomplete. Certain bullfights were to feature Pedro Romero and Pepe Hillo, the post of Deputy President of the Maestranza at the time being held by José Moctezuma. On 11 May, the date of the first bullfight of the fair and a gala event organised by the Real Maestranza in honour of the birthday of Prince Gabriel, proceedings were just getting underway around half past three in the afternoon when, in an incomplete section of the ring that had been occupied by the general public, a soldier of the Provincial army, called Isidoro Espinosa, moved a pillar and caused the partial collapse of the bullring. By all accounts the section supported by 16 arches fell to the ground. According to one eye-witness report, «The general cries of the audience were silenced by the terrible thunder of a large part of the ring collapsing. The sixteen main balconies were the first to fall, causing the audience to flee in fright, some to seek help and others for fear of death. All was chaos, lamentation and grievous moans. People were scared of staying there and crowded the gates to get out, whilst at the same time others tried to get in. The priests came with holy oil and the viaticum, the bells rang out, whilst thousands attempted to free from the rubble their injured or dead parents, brothers, sisters and other relatives». The person who allegedly caused the collapse lost his life along with ten other people.

1785.
The unfortunate incident had serious consequences. For a time bullfights were expressly prohibited and permission to complete the bullring was suspended. This suspension was only raised in January 1785 following numerous efforts. Reconstruction commenced under the direction of the same master builder, Francisco de Almagro, with Juan de Lamas as the master stonemason and a skilled builder called Antonio Ordóñez. On 26 April of the same year the Real Maestranza writes to the king informing him of the completion of the works. The bullring is officially opened on 19 May 1785, 300 years after the occupation of Ronda by King Ferdinand. Presided over by Bartolomé Félix de Salvatierra, Deputy President of the Maestranza Fraternity, on behalf of the President of the Brotherhood, Prince Gabriel Antonio, the son of Charles III and Maria Amalia of Saxony, the event is massively attended by the general public with 126 noblemen, together with the maestrantes and other authorities, in the boxes for distinguished guests. On 9 November 1785 Charles III prohibits all bullfights with certain public exceptions. This ruling does not affect the events at the Maestranza bullring, where bulls continue to run, generally on two separate occasions

1788.
The main gate, built by the Ronda stonemason Juan de Lamas, is completed. In May of the same year there were approximately 600 people putting the final touches to the bullring.

1797.
Slightly later than at other Maestranzas, permission is received to hold public and charity bullfights at the Ronda bullring.

1810.
The French troops use the bullring as their garrison.

1813.
Agreement is reached to carry out repairs to the bullring, «almost completely destroyed by the French».


1820.
At a bullfight during the first year of the Liberal Triennium, the only death in the history of the bullring occurs. Francisco Herrera, «Curro Guillén», is gored by a bull from the Cabrera ranch in Utrera. Legend has it that he was buried next to the pens. His remains were subsequently found whilst repair works were being carried out. During the 19th century the most common bullfights are those held in aid of fraternities. Amateur bullfights and those using young bulls are organised by the town council in the bullring loaned for the purpose by the Maestranza. Despite the lack of top-league bullfights, the Ronda bullring nevertheless sees the finest figures due to the reputation enjoyed by the Maestranza as the leading such institution. These figures include Pepete and Gordito, Curro Cúchares, Guerrita, Reverte, Mazantini, Caraancha, Espartero, Frascuelo, Antonio Fuentes and Bombita. At the dawn of the 20th century Ronda sees two great figures become fully fledged bullfighters: Lagartijo and Machaquito. Following a period of decline, the appearance of Cayetano Ordóñez, Niño de la Palma, leads to a revival in Ronda that is continued by Antonio Ordóñez in the 1950s.